Oaxaca Artisanal Cotton Textile Experience
Visit a local weaving collective and learn about traditional textiles from beginning to end from a local family
|Pickup at your Oaxaca City hotel
|Drop off at your Oaxaca City hotel
|6-8 hours on average
|Low – this experience involves minimal movement for weaving and harvesting leaves
|Moderate – a good balance of cultural interactions, and engaging with a local family of textile producers
|Private – Max 6 people per booking
Itinerary for visiting the Textile Weavers near Santo Tomás Jalieza, Oaxaca
This is most of a full-day experience where you will learn and appreciate the hard work of the weaving families and communities of Mexico. It will be a window into a normal day in these people’s lives and allow you to connect deeply by participating in their activities and connecting to the land they live on. The objective is that you can get a bond with the sacred practices of textile production – in the ways the weavers have bonded with this practice for generations.
Please note: There is not a Dress Code! You will be visiting a traditional family in the villages, so dressing respectfully is appreciated. You don’t need to dress to impress – you will be getting your hands dirty. It is recommended to bring modest, comfortable clothes, and that you don’t mind getting a bit dirty in. A more detailed list of suggested clothing attire can be found below.
What to bring to the Oaxaca Artisanal Textile Experience?
Though this could vary seasonally, this is the basic list of what we suggest you bring with you. Keep in mind, that your transport is private and secure, so you can leave some items in the vehicle when not needed:
– Jeans or long pants (this is most customary in Mexico, though shorts/dress are fine if you are most comfortable in that).
– Sneakers/comfortable shoes.
– Long sleeves or bug spray (there are mosquitos where we are going).
– Covid Mask.
– Cash. The producers do not accept credit cards if you want to buy any textiles after your experience. There is no pressure to buy anything. Unlike other tour companies, the producers we work with will always get paid fairly for their time, regardless if you buy a textile or not.
What is included with the Oaxaca Artisanal Textile Experience?
Your experience includes:
– information provided before your experience to educate you and properly prepare you
– a specially trained and licensed English-speaking guide who will facilitate your experience
– transportation during the tour (a private vehicle to and from Teotitlan)
– translations with your weaving host family
– meal (includes a meal at the end of the day. Alcoholic beverages are not included with the meals)
– a special small gift to take home with you
What is not included when on your Artisanal Textile Experience?
– Travel Insurance (Compulsory)
– International flights
– Transportation (outside of the included itinerary)
– Accommodation in Oaxaca
– Alcoholic beverages (outside of the included mezcal tasting)
– Gratuities and tips
– Spending money if you wish to purchase additional textiles, souvenirs, or items.
Supporting Local Projects with our TRiP Foundation
Every TRiP that you go on with WSE Travel, we will donate 2% (or $1/day per day, per person – whichever is greater) to an environmental or community-based project in the country you’re visiting. We want to ensure that every guest we help, in turn, supports and preserves the destination we’re experiencing together as a direct result. We live by an ethos of Travel Responsibly & Impact Positively (TRIP).
For more information on the projects supported by this experience, please visit our Mexico TRIP projects.
Cancellations & Rebooking
All tours, services, and experiences booked through WSE Travel are bound to our Terms and Conditions, which were modeled after most other travel services such as flights, hotels, and other tour operators.
Should you need to cancel or change your reservation for any reason (including but not limited to missed flights, illness, or change of mind), you will still be bound to the terms and conditions agreed to at the time of booking.
Should you give us more than 14 days’ notice of a change in your reservation, we can store your payment in the ‘safety deposit box’, to be used for a future travel date, either by you or be transferred to a friend or family member. Refunds are not available unless your reservation is canceled by WSE Travel for circumstances outside of our control.
Should you give us less than 14 days’ notice of a change in your reservation, a rebooking fee will be imposed. We do try to be flexible for our guests, but not at the sacrifice of the livelihoods of all locals hired for your private experiences. As these are private experiences, your guide and any other local service provider block their days off from other work to accommodate your reservation. They may not be able to fill that day again in the event of cancellation.
To be fair and responsible to them and their reliance on your reservation’s promised work, your guide will still be paid for your reservation. As such, last-minute cancellations or changes within 2 weeks of departure will be subject to a rebooking fee of the online deposit, to re-hire a guide for your future travel date.
This flexibility is a bend in our Terms and Conditions to try to be fair both to our guests, as well as the locals hired to facilitate your reservation. If you feel there is a high chance of cancellations or changes, please make sure you buy appropriate travel insurance which will be able to reimburse you for cancellations of things such as flights, hotels, and tours.